Large Days of Service
HandsOn Greater DC Cares coordinates 3 large days of service each year, which together engage over 20,000 volunteers in service. They are exciting opportunities for thousands of people to come together and make an impact that would otherwise take weeks or months.
All of these events are perfect for groups. For each event, you have the option to create a “team” when you register. You can invite friends, coworkers, alumni, members of your place of worship, neighbors or anyone else to join you in service. We hope you’ll consider creating a team and helping us grow our impact across DC, MD, and VA!
Mark your calendar today for the 3 most exciting days of service each year!
April 26th & 27th 2013
Servathon is the largest day of service in the DC region every year. Over 8,000 volunteers uplift our community in amazing ways, such as:
- Paint murals of college logos in public schools;
- Landscape and beautify parks and landmarks;
- Spend time with seniors and children;
- Sort and deliver food for the hungry;
- Paint 4 squares, hopscotches, maps and other blacktop games at schools;
- And more!
Friday, April 26th will be a day of service for corporate sponsors who choose to volunteer on that day. Saturday, April 27th will be our day of service for the vast majority of Servathon volunteers.
Supporting Service! Servathon is not only the biggest day of service every year, it also has a critical fundraising component that supports HGDCC’s work all year long. Like a walkathon or marathon, you are asked and encouraged to ask friends and family to sponsor your service. We greatly appreciate any fundraising you do, and reward it! Top fundraisers are eligible for fabulous prizes throughout the spring.
Approximately September 11, 2013
Since 2009, HandsOn Greater DC Cares has led in the nation in recognizing the national day of service on September 11. Once again this year during the 11th anniversary, HGDCC will pay tribute to the victims, survivors, and heroes of 9/11 by engaging thousands of volunteers throughout the region. Our community will honor those touched by 9/11 by engaging in nearly 50 service projects at nonprofits, schools and community based organizations. Join us in service to others and make sure your 9/11 is a day of service, and not just another day.
January 18, 19, & 21 2013
Each year, HandsOn Greater DC Cares unites 1,500+ volunteers in service on MLK Day to pay tribute to the legacy of service and social justice of Dr. King. Volunteers engage in projects across DC, MD, and VA.
In January 2013, HandsOn Greater DC Cares will continue its proud tradition of honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the role of community service as a valuable instrument for social change. In addition to the annual celebration, it will also recognize the 57th Presidential Inauguration. The two events present a unique opportunity to unite both celebrations into one big weekend of service! We are inviting you to participate in HandsOn Greater DC Cares’ 2013 Presidential Inauguration - Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend of Service to strengthen education programs—including those at schools, recreation centers, libraries, after school programs, and more! Click Here to download the 2013 Inauguration - MLK 2013 Sponsorship & Participation Packet!
We will offer three signature service events: (click on a date to register)
- On Friday, January 18th, we will focus our efforts on education related service projeccts. These projects will take place at various public/charter schools, education facilities, and training centers in DC, Maryland, and Virgina. The opportuntiy to engage in both service baseed and skilled based project are avaliable!
- On Saturday, January 19th, we will participate in the country's signature service event, creating thousands of care kits to support at least 100,000 deployed service memebers, wounded warriors, veterans, first responders and thier families. This event is hosted by Points of Light and Target, in partnership with HandsOn Greater DC Cares, Operation Gratitude, the Coporation for National and Community Service, Community Blueprint, ServeDC, Volunteer Fairfax and the George Washignton University.
- On Monday January 21st, we will offer additional opportuntities to serve, this time with a community driven focus. Projects will take place at various recreation centers, senior homes, food banks, and shelters through out the greater DC region.
Serving for a day creates a brighter future for tomorrow.
HandsOn Greater DC Cares was delighted to have President Obama and the First Family volunteer with us at Stuart Hobson Middle School for the 2011 Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday of Service. They served beside community and corporate volunteers and painted dancing fruit in the cafeteria to promote healthy eating. The dancing fruit was part of a larger mural that also included collegiate logos and inspirational quotes that encouraged students to continue their education.